[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Include co mpile.h,2.38,2.39 parsetok.h,2.19,2.20 pyerrors.h,2.63,2.64 pythonrun.h,2 .55,2.56 symtable.h,2.10,2.11

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
11 Dec 2002 23:06:27 +0100

"Delaney, Timothy" <tdelaney@avaya.com> writes:

> I must admit I caused this recent constifying mess ... someone complained on
> python-list and I told him to submit a bug report (in the hope that it would
> get rejected because I knew the problems it would cause).

I (obviously) did not feel that the request was misguided. The second
on (on RunString) was probably more effort that it will ever do good,
but I am convinced that the change is conceptually right, i.e. the
strings used as file names and scripts really should be const, as
people will pass string literals.

OTOH, there are more places left that should accept const strings, but
don't, and I was certainly not out to fix them all. Instead, doing it
on user request only seems right to me. In the long run, we get happy
users because of such changes, which should be weighed against the few
unhappy developers that now have to silence compiler warnings :-)

Regards,
Martin