[Python-Dev] PEP 298

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
12 Dec 2002 20:54:14 +0100

Thomas Heller <theller@python.net> writes:

> I intend to work on the PEP 298 (locked buffer interface)
> implementation, with the hope that it is not too late to bring this
> into 2.3.  Is there still a chance?

Having looked at the PEP for the first time, I have a number of
comments:

- I think there must be a way to obtain the address of the buffer on
  the Python level, see

  http://tinyurl.com/3h79

  Using /dev/poll on Solaris requires a way to create a struct whose
  address you know.

- There must be a Python-level API to obtain a locked buffer.

- How will string objects implement that interface? In particular,
  what prevents the refcount of the string dropping to zero?

Regards,
Martin