[Python-Dev] new import hooks & zip import

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 19:55:21 +0100

James C. Ahlstrom wrote:

> In PEP 273 under "Booting" the directory /usr/local/lib/python23.zip
> (for Unix) or python23.zip in the directory of python23.dll (for
> Windows) was added to sys.path so that the Python standard library
> could be loaded from a zip archive.  This is missing in your patch.

True. I wasn't sure if there was consensus about the neccessity of this.

> I am not sure whether this was deliberate.

I'm not against this at all, I've just been ignoring the issue ;-)

> But if you want to add
> it, it requires patches to site.py, getpath.c, getpathp.c, pythonrun.c,
> main.c and sysmodule.c.  This moves changes to sys.path out of
> sysmodule.c and into getpath[p].c where they belong.

It might belong there, but I don't see an immediate reason why a default zip
entry on sys.path demands this reorganization as well.

> You may want to use my patches for this even if you use your own
> import.c instead of mine.

I'll go read them more closely, thanks.

Just