[Python-Dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Zip import and sys.path manipulation (was Re: directory hierarchy proposal)

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:24:56 -0500

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>>I've seen several places where what you propose isn't enough: when I
>>>tried putting everything in a zipfile, I ended up giving up when I
>>>realized that there are places that use os.stat() on filenames thus
>>>constructed.
>>>
>>This is to ease development. In development mode, we check if the
>>data on disk has changed and reread it if it has. This wouldn't be
>>applicable to zip files.
>>

> How do we turn this off?

In the zconfig file. ;)

There isn't a way to turn it off yet.

 > I think it would be a good exercise to see
> if we could load Zope3 from a zip file.  (Though I've got to say that
> the ~3 seconds startup time on my 2 year old Linux box is pretty
> speedy, so I'm not sure we could or need to make it much faster than
> that.)

I presume zip files would make mac starup a lot faster, but that
wouldn't work for development.  It would also help startup
when reading from CD, or so the theory goes. Having said all of that,
I have a hard time getting excited about zip file import myself.

Jim