[Python-Dev] Adding decimal (aka FixedPoint) numbers to Python

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:18:49 -0500

> Speaking of which, if sets *were* to become built-ins, would the
> notation
>
>     { member1, member2, member3, ... }
>
> fly as a constructor literal? I don't know enough ab out the
> parser's operations to determine how easy disambiguation from a
> dictionary constructor might be, but it's certainly a desirably
> parallel notation with mathematical sets.

That's what PEP 218 proposes, yes (it even proposes "set
comprehensions").  The parser has no problem with this, except that {}
would be ambiguous.  The PEP proposes to solve that by using {-} to
write an empty set, but not everyone likes that.