[Python-Dev] known obvious thing or bug (rexec)?

Brett Cannon bac@OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:28:02 -0800 (PST)

[Guido van Rossum]

> using this?  I suppose a fix would be simple enough, but I'm more and
> more inclined to simply rip out rexec from the distribution -- it's
> never going to be safe, and I doubt it's very useful as long as it's
> not safe.

Obviously Guido wants to just ditch rexec with the expectation it will
never work well enough for it to be legitimately called "safe".  Gustavo,
on the other hand, seems rather determined to get the thing to work.  Can
we just move it out of circulation to the nondist/ directory?  It seems
Gustavo does not want to move it to a completely separate project (maybe I
am misreading his emails, though).

But if moving it there is not reasonable, then I am voting for completely
removing it.  The code will still be in older versions if someone decides
to pick it up and work on it as a separate project.  And perhaps it could
be started from scratch for Python 3 when unification is done and there
are less things to have to worry about.

-Brett