[Python-Dev] RE: Adding decimal (aka FixedPoint) numbers to Python

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 23:44:43 -0500

[Greg Ewing]
> You're going to have to face this issue if you ever want to add a
> floating decimal type as well. If the fixed decimal type is just
> called "fixed", what are you going to call a floating decimal? You
> can't just call it "float", because we've already got one of those!

So if the fixed decimal type is called "decimal", what are *you* going to
call the new floating decimal type?  Correct me if I'm missing the obvious,
but it seems "float" is just as forbidden to you then.  At least if the
fixed-point type is called "fixed", it leaves "decimal" available for its
successor.

But it's all hypothetical so long as FixedPoint/fixed/decimal remains just a
class in a library module.