[Python-Dev] New Import Hooks PEP, a first draft (and req. for PEP #)

Neil Schemenauer nas@python.ca
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 22:46:12 -0800

[I'm on a really slow link so this won't be detailed :-(]

> Interesting use case! I wish I had known about it earlier. Can you
> point me to your code using ihooks, if it's available?

It's part of Quixote (google knows where).  The module is ptl_import.py.

> I'm actually not so sure the new hook mechanism solves all your
> problems as well as it could/should. I assume these special modules
> simply live on sys.path, intermixed with "regular" modules?

That's the way the current hooks work.  It probably would be okay if
certain directorys could contain only .ptl modules.  I'm not sure our
users would like that incompatibilty.  Obviously it would be nice if the
new hooks could easily support the current behavior.

  Neil