[Python-Dev] Python 2.3a1 release -- Dec 31

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 13:06:10 +0100

Finn Bock wrote:

> That may be true for CPython but it isn't for jython where the
> toplevel namespace in a zip file is taken already for java classes.
> By far the most natural way to package a jython/java application
> would be to put the jython modules in the same .zip (or .jar) file as
> the rest of the java application and that is best achieved by putting
> the python modules under a seperate directory in the zip file.
>
> So Jython cares about this feature. So mush that we may have to be
> incompatible on this point with CPython.

I wonder, though, how big a deal is this incompatibility? Can Jython
load modules from .pyc files in zip files? Can CPython import modules
from .jar files? In other words, can zip/jar files ever be shared
between Jython and CPython?

Just