[Python-Dev] Mesenne Twister copyright notice

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 23:58:24 +0100

Martin v. L=F6wis wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>=20
>> The usual way to deal with this is to include a .txt/.doc file in the
>> module directory where the module is placed. Examples are the LICENSE.=
txt
>> file and the various .doc files we already have in the std lib directo=
ry.
>=20
>=20
> Can you give a few examples? I could not find a file LICENSE.txt (you=20
> probably meant LICENSE), and no .txt or .doc file I checked was relevan=
t=20
> to licensing.

Have a look at the /usr/local/lib/python2.2/ dir. The LICENSE.txt
file has the Python copyright notice.

profile.doc has the license for the profiler.

>> I'd suggest to include a twister.txt file together with the module
>> which then includes the copyright notice.
>=20
> My concern is that people who produce binary distributions will have to=
=20
> include this text file in their distribution as well. People who embed=20
> Python (in a way that includes _random.c) will have to include the text=
=20
> file in their applications.
>=20
> Do we really want this?

If that's what the licenses want, there's no way to drive around
this I guess. Note that people redistributing the code can also
take these .txt files and add them to their application documentation
to meet the license requirements.

--=20
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH