[Python-Dev] Mesenne Twister copyright notice

"Martin v. Löwis" martin@v.loewis.de
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 01:24:12 +0100

Jack Jansen wrote:
> MacPython has always been fairly careful about this, and I wouldn't be
> surprised if the same holds for PythonWin.

As Tim points out, the Windows distribution incorporates a number of
add-on libraries with their own copying conditions, which aren't always
followed.

For example, the db 1.85 package which was the basis of bsddb on Windows
still has the original Berkeley advertising clause (which was waived
now); it also has the requirement that The Regents of the University of
California are acknowledged and their license terms be included in
binary-only distributions; I don't think this requirement was followed.

The same holds for other copies of the BSD license, e.g. the one in
getaddrinfo.c requires that the WIDE project is acknowledged (I'm guilty
of incorporating that one into Python).

pcre-int.h says that the origin of PCRE must not be misrepresented by
omission [of Philip Hazel's copyright].

regexpr.c says that Tatu Ylonen's text must appear in all copies.

xmlrpclib.py says that Secret Lab's copyright text must be mentioned in
documentation.

And so on.

Does MacPython acknowledge all these people and organizations, in the
documentation?

Regards,
Martin