[Python-Dev] Moving Mac/Lib to Lib/plat-mac before 2.3a1?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 19:17:36 -0500

> Oops, there something that's been on my todo list for quite a while but
> that I haven't taken any action on (at least I can put part of the
> blame on Just, it was his idea and he didn't take any action either:-):
> moving Mac/Lib to Lib/plat-mac. The main reason for doing this is that
> most (if not all) of those modules are useable in unix-Python on MacOSX
> too, and moreover it would make the MacPython-OS9 tree look a little
> more like the normal Python tree. site.py would get one extra line with
> a special case (if sys.platform==darwin we not only add plat-darwin to
> the path but also plat-mac).
>
> Is it a good idea to try and get this in before 2.3a1? Is it a better
> idea to try and get this in between 2.3a1 and the next release (2.3a2?
> 2.3b1?)?

Either way works for me -- I have no problem with doing it now.

> And on the technical implementation: I think I would ask the SF
> maintainers to *copy* Mac/Lib to Lib/plat-mac, and then manually delete
> Mac/Lib on the trunk and Lib/plat-mac on the 2.2 maintenance branch. Is
> that a good idea?

It's sort of history falsification -- and you'd have to delete it on
the 2.1 branch too (we might issue 2.1.4).

I'm also a bit worried that the SF folks don't respond in time for the
release.  Are you sure you need the CVS history in the new location?

> A similar case can be made for other Mac subdirs (Mac/Tools->Tools/Mac,
> Mac/scripts->Tools/Mac/scripts), but that is less essential and can
> probably wait until later.

OK.