[Python-Dev] sstruct

Lalo Martins lalo@laranja.org
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 16:31:17 -0200

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 06:46:28PM +0100, Just van Rossum wrote:
> "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> > 1. Nobody has proposed to include it, yet.
>
> Including its author ;-)

That is why I posted to a forum where I knew said author would read me ;-)

> > 2. It is not obvious that it is useful.
> >
> > On the latter point: What application is finding it so useful that
> > they incorporate it in their distribution?

Heck, I would have used it instead of struct in all places I ever used
struct, if I knew about it before :-)

(But the only one of these who is public is the Python client library of the
PicoGUI toolkit.  It has a heavy dependency on struct, which could be made
much more readable with sstruct - actually this is why sstruct got my
attention in the first place.)

I guess it's essentialy Just's fault for not publicizing his cool stuff
better...

Perhaps it is not a good time for it to go into 2.3, but I think this is the
kind of thing that belongs in the library.  It does the same job as struct,
but with a more readable (and arguably, pythonic) API.  I can volunteer to
write the docs and tests, if needed.

[]s,
                                               +----
--