[Python-Dev] distutils & stderr

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 21:43:43 -0600

    Tim> [Skip]
    >> Probably so, but not all prints are guarded by "if verbose:".

    Tim> Have you tried it in the case you complained about at the start of
    Tim> this?

Yes, and it seems to shut things up just fine.  I made that comment after
having modified my source to dump all prints to stderr.

    Tim> MultiMapping.c
    Tim>    Creating library build\temp.win32-2.3\Release\MultiMapping.lib and object
    Tim> build\temp.win32-2.3\Release\MultiMapping.exp

    Tim> I believe those are generated by Microsoft's compiler (the
    Tim> case-sensitive string "Creating" appears nohwere in the distutils
    Tim> source; and yes, these go to stdout too), and if so there's nothing
    Tim> distutils can do about that.  I don't see any messages that look
    Tim> like they come from distutils.

Windows matters little to me for most applications, and not at all when I
write scripts that I want to work like Unix filters, which is what my
original complaint was about.  I will suggest to Ken Simpson that PyInline
use the -q flag.

Thx,

Skip