[Python-Dev] Want to co-design and implement a logging module?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 04 Feb 2002 10:39:27 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I'd like to see a logging module in the standard Python library.  Is
> anybody interested in helping spec out requirements and work on an
> implementation?  Some ideas from Zope's zLOG module should probably go
> into it (it should eventually be a replacement for that), and some
> from log4j (http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/).
>
> Any takers?

You might want to have a look at mx.Log which is part of the
egenix-mx-base distribution. It is undocumented, but reading the
source should give some insights.

The basic idea is that you have logging objects which are
usually created as singletons; these can then log various
information depending on a fine grained verbosity level to a
log file, stdout or stderr.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH