[Python-Dev] PYC Magic

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sat, 09 Feb 2002 00:30:34 -0500

[M.-A. Lemburg]
> FYI, I've bumped the PYC magic in a non-standard way (the old
> standard broke on 2002-01-01); please review:

Fine by me, except you should also check in a NEWS blurb about it.  The
current NEWS file says:

"""
- Because Python's magic number scheme broke on January 1st, we decided
  to stop Python development.  Thanks for all the fish!
"""

That's why PythonLabs hasn't done much of anything on Python since 2.2 was
released <wink>.

>        algorithm relying on the above scheme. Perhaps we should simply
>        start counting in increments of 10 from now on ?!

Why 10?  I'd rather see it incremented by 1.  If you respond that you want
to make room for more hacks akin to -U, my response would be that's exactly
what I want to prevent by blessing 1 <0.4 wink>.