[Python-Dev] Order that site-packages is added to sys.path

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 12:17:52 -0500

On 12 February 2002, Jeremy Hylton said:
> Why don't you use "--root /usr/local/lib/python2.2" and *really*
> override the standard library?

No: --root just lets you replace / with something else.  It's mainly so
you can build an RPM (eg.) without being superuser.  Your example
would install to
  /usr/local/lib/python2.2/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages
...which is probably not what you meant.

The distutils install command *is* pretty flexible; if someone cares to
sit down and figure it out, I'm sure this is possible.  It's just not
documented or obvious.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Linux weenie                                gward@python.net