[Python-Dev] Order that site-packages is added to sys.path

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 21:42:22 +0100

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

>     MAL> "Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:
>     >> [distutils --root hackery]
>
>     MAL> Why not use the subpackage approach I suggested ?
>
>     MAL> It keeps the std lib in a sane state (meaning that the std
>     MAL> lib installation only depends on the Python installation and
>     MAL> no other hacks on top of it).
>
>     MAL> Since you'll have to ship the complete package anyway, I
>     MAL> don't see any win in installing over the std email
>     MAL> package. If that's what you really want, I'd suggest to
>     MAL> provide the updated email package as separate download and
>     MAL> then test inside Mailman for the new version.
>
> I'm fine with installing in a Mailman specific location, but I still
> want to use as much of the distutils machinery as possible.
>
> It looks like
>
>     python setup.py install --home=/some/path
>
> gets close enough.

No, no, no :-)

What I am suggesting is to put the email package *inside* the
Mailman package:

Mailman/__init__.py
        email/__init__.py

And then use "from Mailman import email" in Mailman source
code. That's clean, doesn't interfere with the std lib
and it's all your's ;-) (meaning that you have complete
control over what email does in the Mailman context).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH