[Python-Dev] SSL support in _socket

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:14:27 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Some symbols starting with 'RAND_*' are apparently missing from
> > OpenSSL on my notebook.
>
> Yes, this has bitten me too.  It's apparently a relatively new API in
> OpenSSL and the SSL code in socket.c was changed to require it almost
> as soon as it appeared in OpenSSL.
>
> > In summary: _socket is just too important to lose if something
> > in the OpenSSL support goes wrong. The two build model I suggested
> > fixes this problem elegantly and doesn't cost anything in
> > terms of adding tons of code -- all we need is an #ifdef for
> > the module name in _socketmodule.c
>
> Since the SSL support mostly introduces new code that doesn't depend
> on other socket code (not 100% sure if this is true), can't we make
> the SSL support a separate module?  Then socket.py (which is also used
> on Unix these days!!!) can glue them together.

Good idea.

Checking the code it should be easy to do. I'll look
into this later this week.

Funny, BTW, that the source file is named socketmodule.c
while the resulting DLL is called _socket... I suppose
renaming socketmodule.c to _socket.c would be advisable.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH