Re[2]: [Python-Dev] syntactic sugar idea for {static,class}methods

Gareth McCaughan gmccaughan@synaptics-uk.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:09:24 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 04:25:55 -0500, Oren Tirosh <oren-py-d@hishome.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 05:11:57PM +0000, Gareth McCaughan wrote:
> > One drawback of allowing an arbitrary list of transformations
> > is that it might not be completely clear what order they're done in.
> > I conjecture that most people will have the same intuition
> > as I do about this, namely that the first-listed transformation
> > is applied first. (It would be less obvious if the list came
> > before the name of the definiendum instead of after.)
>
> The modifier order [memoize, staticmethod] sounds more like the sentence
> "foo is a memoized staticmethod" - at least in English it does.  In French,
> Hebrew and several other languages it's the other way around, but Python
> is definitely English-oriented.

Interesting. I read it more as: "Define a function, then memoize it
and make it a static method".

> So, do adjectives come before or after the noun in Dutch? :-)

I don't think they do. :-)

By the way, the fact that adjectives go before nouns in English
is one reason why I don't read "def foo() [wibblify]" as if "wibblify"
is an adjective. It can't be: it comes after the noun.

PS. Court martial. C sharp. Letters patent. Bother. :-)