Re[2]: [Python-Dev] syntactic sugar idea for {static,class}methods

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
15 Feb 2002 10:29:59 +0000

Gareth McCaughan <gmccaughan@synaptics-uk.com> writes:

> On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 04:25:55 -0500, Oren Tirosh <oren-py-d@hishome.net> wrote:
> > The modifier order [memoize, staticmethod] sounds more like the sentence
> > "foo is a memoized staticmethod" - at least in English it does.  In French,
> > Hebrew and several other languages it's the other way around, but Python
> > is definitely English-oriented.
>
> Interesting. I read it more as: "Define a function, then memoize it
> and make it a static method".

That's what my patch does, too, but I can't remember whether this was
by accident or design :-/.

Incidentally, I'm not sure

class C:
    def s():
        print 1
    s = memoize(staticmethod(s))

would actually work (s would have type 'function').  I guess memoize
could made cleverer than the version I posted.

Cheers,
M.

--
  "declare"?  my bogometer indicates that you're really programming
  in some other language and trying to force Common Lisp into your