[Python-Dev] SSL support in _socket

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 19:29:46 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Checking the code it should be easy to do. I'll look
> > into this later this week.
>
> Great!

Done -- wasn't that easy after all, because the ssl object
relies on the socket object.

Please review and test. The header file chaos at the top of
socketmodule.* looks scary. It works fine on Linux, but I have
no idea what the situation is on other platforms.

Side-note: I've added the "inter-module dynamic C API linking
via Python trick" from the mx tools to the _socket module. _ssl
only uses it to get at the type object, but the support can easily
be extended if this should be needed for more C APIs from
_socket.

Also note: the non-Unix build process files need to be updated.

> > Funny, BTW, that the source file is named socketmodule.c
> > while the resulting DLL is called _socket... I suppose
> > renaming socketmodule.c to _socket.c would be advisable.
>
> That requires asking the SF sysadmin a favor to move a file, or loses
> all he CVS history.  So who cares.

I have left out this step. Perhaps Barry know a way to
rename the socketmodule.* files without losing the
history ?!

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH