[Python-Dev] Meta-reflections

Samuele Pedroni pedroni@inf.ethz.ch
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:13:57 +0100

> [Kevin Jacobs]
> > I have a collection of about ~8 more bugs that is expending as I
> > grow my test suite.  Before I spray all of them onto SF, I want
> > to hear from Guido, since some of my "bugs" are potentially subjective.
>
> The best way to hear from Guido is to post bugs, and suspected bugs, to
> SourceForge, one bug per report.  There's so much verbiage about this now on
> Python-Dev that I doubt he'll ever be able to make time to catch up with it
> when he returns.  A great advantage of a good bug report is that it's
> focused and brief.

It's very true.

> Slots were definitely intended as a memory optimization, and the ways in
> which they don't act like "regular old attributes" are at best warts.

I see, but it seems that the only way to coherently and transparently
remove the warts implies that the __dict__ of a new-style class
instance with slots should be tied with the instance and cannot
be anymore a vanilla dict. Something only Guido can rule about.

some-more-verbiage-ly y'rs - Samuele.