[Python-Dev] PEP 215 redux: toward a simplified consensus?

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
26 Feb 2002 00:38:58 +0100

Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net> writes:

> > > I think you go through and remove the "$" signs (probably at the same
> > > time you are removing "_") and use a runtime function to do the
> > > translation (probably the same function doing the interpolation).
> >
> > I could not accept any solution that cannot offer anything but this.
> > This kind of interpolation is plain broken.
>
> How so? I need more info to go on.

In the applications that I have in mind, interpolated strings are
typically presented to the user, so there must be a way to localize
them. An extension to the language that does not support localization
is useless if I have to find some other means for l10n.

If there will be a standard library function that does the
interpolation anyway, I'd prefer not to have a language extension ot
achieve the same thing, but is more limited. If anything, the language
extension should be more powerful, not more limited, in applicability.

Regards,
Martin