[Python-Dev] PEP 215 redux: toward a simplified consensus?

David Ascher DavidA@ActiveState.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 20:25:59 -0800

Paul Prescod wrote:

> "Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

> > Does anybody ever even use something other than `s' for %() strings?

> > '3.900000'
>
> Presumably numerical analysts do....and David Ascher once told me he
> uses %d as a sanity type-check. I don't bother.

Paul's starting to turn into my brother -- quoting things I said twenty
years ago and that I have no way of disproving.  As Bill said, "I don't
recall".

These days, I rarely think in FP, even if I use FP, so I typically use
%s.  Back then I probably cared about mantissa and her friends.

--da