[Python-Dev] Adding lots of basic types to Python

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 23:04:16 +0100

I can think of a lot more basic types that we could add to
Python that would make as much sense as currencies: pixels,
points, geometric figures, (audio) samples, images, ...

But: aren't we really trying to standardise interfaces? The main
benefit of a basic currency type would be that it defines the
set of operations allowed on it (add, subtract are fine, divide
gives a normal number, multiply isn't allowed) much more than
code sharing.

Note that I do think standardised interfaces would be a great
thing, and if there was a common Python "pixel" interface that
would free up quite a lot of my brain cells that are now used
for remembering the 4 or 5 different pixel interfaces that I use
regularly, but I'm not sure that a standard Python pixel type is
the solution.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -