[Python-Dev] proposal: add basic money type to the standard library

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 23:36:01 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Indeed, monetary types solve different problems than decimal
> > types. Financial applications do have a need for these kind
> > of implicit error checks.
>
> But this is easily done by creating a custom class -- which has the
> advantage that the set of constraints can be specialized to the needs
> of a specific application.  When we add a monetary type to the
> language we'll never get it right for all apps.  OTOH, I think we
> could get a fixed point type right.

True.

A real implementation of a good working decimal
type with adjustable rounding rules would certainly go
a long way and the money type could be built on top of
it.

> What support for money does SQL have?

SQL-92 doesn't have support for it, but some modern database
engines do, e.g. MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL (even though it's
deprecated there, now), MS Access.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH