[Python-Dev] PEP 263 -- Python Source Code Encoding

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
27 Feb 2002 10:26:15 +0100

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:

> In phase 1, the tokenizer checks the *complete file* for
> non-ASCII characters and outputs single warning
> per file if it doesn't find a coding declaration at
> the top. Unicode literals continue to use [raw-]unicode-escape
> as codec.

Do you suggest that in this phase, the declared encoding is not used
for anything except to complain? -1. I think people need to gain
something from declaring the encoding; what they gain is that Unicode
literals work right (i.e. that they really denote the strings that
people see on their screen - given the appropriate editor).

Regards,
Martin