Japanese codecs (was Re: [Python-Dev] PEP 263 -- Python Source Code Encoding)

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:53:02 -0500

    >> I bet we'd win some Ruby converts if we did this <wink>.  For
    >> reference, I'm thinking about including the Japanese and
    >> Chinese codecs with MM2.1 because it makes little sense to
    >> claim support for those languages without them.

    MvL> That is certainly the right thing to do. If correctness could
    MvL> be verified independently, I'd be in favour of including them
    MvL> with Python - even though they will likely never get the
    MvL> efficiency that wrappers around the platform's codecs would
    MvL> have.

I'm obviously not qualified to verify them independently, but I have
had some initial positive feedback from a few Japanese users of the
MM2.1 alphas.  My second hand information indicates that he Japanese
codecs are pretty good, the Chinese are okay, and the Korean ones need
a lot of work.

Also, it's a bit of a catch 22, in that the more official exposure
these codecs get, the better they will eventually become, hopefully.
I'd be +1 on including them in Python 2.3.

-Barry