[Python-Dev] PEP 273 - Import from Zip Archives

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:12:44 +0100

Thomas Heller wrote:

> From: "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com>
> > Thomas Heller wrote:
> > > Wouldn't it be the right time now, instead of complicating
> > > the builtin import mechanism further, to simplify the builtin
> > > import code, and use it as the foundation of a Python coded
> > > implementation - imputil, or better Gordon's iu.py, or whatever?
> >
> > This would be nice to have, but how do you bootstrap the
> > importer if it's written in Python ?
> >
> Have you looked at imputil? It bootstraps itself only from builtin
> modules (which may be the only mechanism to be in the core).

Sure, but for finding imputil itself you still need the C import
mechanism. Even worse: if Python can't find imputil (for some
reason), it would be completely broken.

My only gripe with the existing C implementation is that
I would like to have more hooks available. Currently, you
have to replace the complete API in order to add new
features -- not exactly OO :-/

BTW, how is progress on the ZIP import patch doing ?
Perhaps Jim should just check in what he has so that the code
gets a little more code review...

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH