[Python-Dev] Unicode strings as filenames

Neil Hodgson nhodgson@bigpond.net.au
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 21:54:43 +1100

Marc-Andre Lemburg:

> The only option I see to make this situation less painful is
> to write a filename subsystem which implements two generic
> APIs:
>
> 1. file open using strings and Unicode
>
> 2. file listing using either Unicode or strings with a predefined
>    encoding in the output list

   I started work on this in C++ for my SciTE editor a couple of months ago
but the design started to include stuff like 'are these two paths pointing
at one file', converting between OpenVMS and Unix paths, and handling URLs
(at least using ftp and http). My brain threatened to explode if it got any
more complex so it got moved to the 'future niceness' pile.

   Neil