[Python-Dev] release for 2.1.2, plus 2.2.1...

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 08:35:28 -0500

> Ok, I'd like to make the 2.1.2 release some time in the first
> half of the week starting 7th Jan, assuming that's ok for the folks
> who'll need to do the work on the PC/Mac packaging.

Cool!  I can't speak for the Mac folks -- they may still be exhausted
from the 2.2 release effort -- but I can't imagine this would be much
of a problem.

> I notice that pep 101 is pretty strongly focussed on the major
> releases, not the minor ones. Is it worth making a modified version
> of this PEP with the minor release steps?

Great idea!

> the things to do:
>
>    README file.
>    NEWS file - should this have anything other than the socket.sendall()
>                change?

The 2.1.1 NEWS file had a SF reference of each and every bug that was
fixed.  Is this worth doing?  (If it were me, the answer would be an
emphatic "no".)

> I don't have access to creosote.python.org, so someone else's going to
> need to do this.

Barry & I are at your service.  I'm guessing you'll also need Fred's
help to roll out the docs (are there going to be 2.1.2 docs?) and
Tim's for the windows installer (which may be a bit of a pain since
we've switched installer builders for 2.2).

> As far as 2.2.1 goes, I'm happy to keep on the patch czar role. Is
> trying for a release before the conference too aggressive a timeframe?
> There seem to be a number of niggles that'd be nice to have fixed...

That would be very cool!  Should be plenty of time if we aim low.