[Python-Dev] release for 2.1.2, plus 2.2.1...

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:25:43 -0500

[Martin v. Loewis]
> Right, I agree on all accounts. Do whatever is most convenient for you.

I don't care what's convenient, I want to do what's *right* for 2.1.2.  I
think this got confused because Guido sold "use the new installer-builder"
on the grounds that it would be easier for me, but, while that's true, it's
also true that the old installer-builder produces broken installers (useless
for many Win2K/XP users).  The latter is the real reason I want to use the
new installer-builder; the old one is quite arguably "a bug".

> On that topic, is there anybody else in this list who has the
> necessary software to build a Python Windows release? I feel quite
> uncomfortable thinking that, if your PC crashes, Windows people would
> be without Python (actually, *that* uncomfortable is that thought not
> :-)

The only pieces you can't get for free over the Web are MSVC 6 and Wise
8.14; the MSVC and Wise project files are in CVS, so it's only the MS and
Wise executables someone would have to obtain.  PythonLabs has the physical
CDs for those, so it doesn't matter much if my box crashes; I also have at
least 3 copies of them on backup tapes, and two other copies on two other
machines.  Hmm.  I probably violated the license agreements at least 4 times
there <wink/sigh>.

> This would probably the time to step forward offering to build the
> official 2.1.2 binary distribution.

Don't I wish.  I would like to see us move to a free installer.  I built
(and checked in) an Inno Setup project file that does "almost all" the good
stuff, and advertised on c.l.py for volunteers to take it over.  Alas,
nobody bit, and I can't justify spending more of my time on it (I could at
the time because I wasn't making any progress then getting Wise to let us
use a new version of their stuff, and Inno Setup was the only feasible
alternative).