Large file system support in 2.1.2 (was Re: [Python-Dev] release for 2.1.2, plus 2.2.1...)

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 19:28:09 -0500

    MvL> I don't know how Barry found that the tests fail, but must
    MvL> likely, one of the expect calls failed, resulting in a
    MvL> TestFailed exception - which would have been clearly visible.

    BAW> Okay, it's a build problem.  For whatever reason, the -D
    BAW> flags set in configure weren't getting passed to gcc during
    BAW> the make.  If I add that explicitly, everything works.  So
    BAW> Py2.1.2 is fine with Martin's patch, which should be
    BAW> committed to the maint branch.

    BAW> If I come up with a better recipe for posix-large-files I'll
    BAW> submit it as a doc-fix.

I think the following is a better suggestion:

% CC='gcc -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64' ./configure

CC is propagated to the Makefile so that just "make" is necessary, but
OPT and CFLAGS is not.  (Although, I seem to vaguely remember that OPT
/used/ to propagate -- I must be mis-remebering.)

-Barry