[Python-Dev] RPM *.spec file

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 18:48:47 +0100

> Could someone point me to the RPM *.spec file with which was built the
> Python 2.2 (ftp://ftp.python.org/pub/python/2.2/rpms/)?
>
> I've already installed from source, but I would like make some order in
> my system, and currently I have 3 versions of Python in various dirs :-)

Did you look at the src.rpm? That should definitely include a spec
file (didn't check, though). Just do rpm -i of the src.rpm, then look
into your packages/SPECS directory.

You may also look at Misc/RPM, but Guido suggests that this is likely
*not* the spec file that was used.

> Q: why is the specfile not distributed with the sources?

Because they have been contributed, and because the contributor did
not contribute a stand-alone spec file (although he implicitly did so
through the src.rpm).

> I've found some outdated BeOpen specfile, but it doesn't work.  Yes,
> I can fix it, but what for when somewhere there seems to exist a
> fixed one, since *.rpm binaries are supported on ftp.python.org?

They are available on ftp.python.org. They are supported only if their
creator supports them.

Regards,
Martin