Large file system support in 2.1.2 (was Re: [Python-Dev] release for 2.1.2, plus 2.2.1...)

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 16:53:40 -0500

    MvL> That is very puzzling. I just did a fresh checkout on
    MvL> cf.sf.net (the debian installation), using

    MvL> Can you please try the same sequence of actions on the SF
    MvL> compile farm, and report what it does for you? Alternatively,
    MvL> can you spot the error in the commands I used?

Actually, let's do something different.  My laptop is a pretty stock
Mandrake 8.1 installation, while my desktop is a RH 6.1-ish system
(with a few kernel and other package updates).

On a fresh checkout of the release21-maint branch on the RH system,
everything works fine; the posix-large-file recipe does indeed
propagate the extended OPT macro into the Makefile.  A fresh checkout
on the Mandrake system it does not.  Weird.

What's different?  On both systems we're using autoconf 2.13, and m4
version 1.4.  On the RH system I've got GNU make version 3.77, but on
Mandrake it's 3.79.1 so that's one obvious difference.  But I'd be
surprised if this is a make bug because I didn't think make was
invoked during the configure phase.

I've gotta run, but I'll try to look into this some more later on.

-Barry