[Python-Dev] RPM *.spec file

Sean Reifschneider jafo@tummy.com
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 18:16:58 -0700

>> Could someone point me to the RPM *.spec file with which was built the
>> Python 2.2 (ftp://ftp.python.org/pub/python/2.2/rpms/)?

The nice thing about an source RPM file (.src.rpm) is that includes *ALL*
things necessary to reproduce the build of the software.  This includes the
pristine source, any modifications required to build, shell commands to
build/install it, and the meta-data.

So, pick up the .src.rpm file from the URL you mention above.  It's got
everything you need...  You can either install it and find the .spec file
in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS, or you can extract the .src.rpm using "rpm2cpio"
and using CPIO to get just the files you want.

>I've asked Sean to contribute his specfile, but he hasn't given them
>to me yet.

Well, at some point we were talking about wether to eliminate the patches
and how to do it for expat and ...  I was actually thinking last night of
putting them into CVS (I made some modifications that I thought would let
Zope 2.4.3 build, but didn't and I backed them out).

How would you like to deal with the .spec file and patches?  I can easily
enough turn the patches into sed commands in the setup, which would mean
you could build the RPMs from the Python tar file directly, if included
there.

Do you want me to just mail the new .spec file to you when I ask you to
upload the new RPMs, or do you want a script that would check out the
latest .spec file from my CVS into your tree, update the version number in
it, and go from there, or can I get access to your CVS for checking in new
.specs?  Or, I guess we could get it updated into the current CVS and I
could submit patches through the Sourceforge.  Except I always sourceFORGET
to click the "click here to attach file" button.  <sigh>

Comments?

Sean
--
 "McGuyver stole all his tricks from Dr. Who."
Sean Reifschneider, Inimitably Superfluous <jafo@tummy.com>