Large file system support in 2.1.2 (was Re: [Python-Dev] release for 2.1.2, plus 2.2.1...)

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 07:56:16 +0100

> I haven't followed this, but from the above it appears that if you use
> the form
>
> VAR1=val1 VAR2=val2 ... program args
>
> then all of val1, val2, ... are evaluated simultaneously using the
> previous values of VAR1, VAR2, ... rather than left-to-right.
>
> That's mildly surprising but not really upsetting to me.

What *is* upsetting is that different shells behave differently; or
else the current documentation would not have been written the way it
is now (and Barry and me would not have spent the week-end researching
that). Recent bash versions, and Korn shell evaluate from left to
right (bash now documents that assignments occur *after* args have been
expanded).

Regards,
Martin