Large file system support in 2.1.2 (was Re: [Python-Dev] release for 2.1.2, plus 2.2.1...)

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 19:47:44 -0500

    MvL> "is used to create the compilation command" may be tricky to
    MvL> implement.  Anyway, what is wrong with my earlier suggestion

    | export CFLAGS OPT
    | CFLAGS='-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64'
    | OPT="-g -O2 $CFLAGS"
    | ./configure

Two problems:

1) This requires you to export two variables into the outer shell's
   environment.  As a general rule, I think this is a bad idea for
   tricking configure.  What else might you be affecting?  Others
   might not care as much.

2) Any time you overload a make variable that has existing semantics,
   you have to worry about losing the original value.  Personally, I
   think it's easier to get CC overloading right than get OPT or
   CFLAGS overloading (and easier than getting them both right).  But
   maybe that's just me.

-Barry