[Python-Dev] unicode/string asymmetries

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 17:50:32 +0100

Jack Jansen wrote:

> > > 3. There does not seem to be an equivalent to the 's' format character
> > > for PyArg_Parse() or Py_BuildValue().
> Martin:
> > and I doubt you have Py_UNICODE* often enough to need
> > it to pass to Py_BuildValue.
>
> Martin, have you ever wrapped any Unicode API's? (As opposed to using unicode
> as a purely internal datatype, which you clearly know a lot about). Thomas'
> question are similar to mine from last week, and Neil's are related too. All
> the niceties we have for strings (optional ones with z, autoconversion from
> unicode, s# to get the size) are missing for unicode, and that's a pain when
> you're wrapping an existing C api.

Jack, please take a look at the very complete C API we have for Unicode.
AFACTL, the Unicode API has more to offer than even the string C API.

BTW, the "u" and "u#" build markers are available too, so there should
be no problem using them for Py_BuildValue().

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH