[Python-Dev] PEP 100 references & wording

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 08:15:27 -0600

I just noticed that PEP 100 (Python/Unicode integration) references

    http://starship.python.net/~lemburg/unicode-proposal.txt

as the latest version.  Sure enough, I visited that and found that it's
newer than the PEP (1.8 v. 1.7).

Shouldn't the PEP be the most up-to-date public document?  The comment right
after that suggests this should be so:

     [ed. note: new revisions should be made to this PEP document, while the
     historical record previous to version 1.7 should be retrieved from
     MAL's url, or Misc/unicode.txt]

Since this is now an informational PEP, I believe the wording should change
to reflect functionality that has already been implemented.  For instance,
instead of

    Python should provide a built-in constructor for Unicode strings which
    is available through __builtins__:

it should read

    Python provides a built-in constructor for Unicode strings which is
    available through __builtins__:

Skip