[niemeyer@conectiva.com: Re: [Python-Dev] Python's footprint]

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:56:05 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Well, can't speak for PythonLabs, but I don't see any benefit
> > from making doc-string complicated by introducing #ifdefs. It
> > doesn't buy us anything, IMHO. Even worse: it makes translating
> > the doc-strings harder.
>
> If there is platform-specific functionality, the docstring should
> document that only on the platform where it applies.

Just to make sure... I was talking about something like:

open__doc__ = \
    "Open the file. On Windows, the MBCS encoding is assumed, "\
    "on all other systems, the file name must be given in ASCII.";

vs.

#ifdef MS_WINDOWS
open__doc__ = \
    "Open the file, assuming the filename is given in the MBCS "\
    "encoding.";
#else
open__doc__ = \
    "Open the file, assuming the filename is given in ASCII.";
#endif

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH