[Python-Dev] PEP_215_ (string interpolation) alternative EvalDict

Steven Majewski sdm7g@Virginia.EDU
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 21:07:24 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> > But just in case I'm seeing it all wrong: could you explain
> > to me how PEP 215 *doesn't* have the potential of introducing
> > a security hole ?
>
> Gladly.
>
> Every $-string can be converted to equivalent code that uses only:
>
>   a)  whatever code the programmer explicitly typed
>       in the $-string;
>   b)  str() or unicode(); and
>   c)  the + operator applied to strings.

But the examples in PEP 215 don't follow those restrictions.

That may be the source of the confusion.

Maybe someone should revise the PEP for consistency before it's
considered further.

-- Steve.