[Python-Dev] PEP 215 does not introduce security issues

Neil Hodgson nhodgson@bigpond.net.au
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:55:37 +1100

The PEP:
>      '$' works like an operator and could be implemented as an
>      operator, but that prevents the compile-time optimization
>      and presents security issues.  So, it is only allowed as a
>      string prefix.

   I'd like to see the '$' prefix replaced with an ordinary character such
as 'i'. '$' is currently unused in Python and so can be used for future
extension either as a new operator or as the basis for new operators.
Interpolation strings consume this character so it can no longer be chosen
as a new operator.

   Neil