[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 277: Unicode file name support for Windows NT, was PEP-time ? ...

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:34:04 +0100

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> >    OK, PEP 277 is now available from:
> > http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0277.html
>
> Looks very good to me, except that the listdir approach (unicode in,
> unicode out) should apply uniformly to all platforms; I'll provide an
> add-on patch to your implementation once the PEP is approved.

+1

Some nits:

The restriction when compiling Python in wide mode on Windows
should be lifted: The PyUnicode_AsWideChar() API should be used
to convert 4-byte Unicode to wchar_t (which is 2-byte on Windows).

Why is "unicodefilenames" a function and not a constant ?

I'm still in favour of a file API abstraction layer in Python,
but that can be done at some later point (moving the code from
the various platform specific modules into a Python/fileapi.c
file).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH