[Python-Dev] VERBOSE and DEBUG conventions.

Steven Majewski sdm7g@Virginia.EDU
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:06:30 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Tim Peters wrote:

> Supply a "set debug and log options" interface for your module, and then
> call it <wink>.  Good example:  the gc module.

Thanks. That mostly makes sense.
Except that I needed it to be in trace/debug mode when the module
initialization is being done, so I can't import the module and then
set it. I suppose I could just use another environment variable:
$PYOBJC_DEBUG -- then I could set debug levels.

-- Steve

FYI: In case you're wondering why I don't just use gdb:
 It's seems to be a meta level problem between the python runtime
and the objective-c runtime, and I suspect the objc extensions
in gdb must make use of the objc-runtime ( for 'po' - print object,
for example.) because I seem to be causing another objc runtime
exception the act of examining things in the debugger.
 This is not very documented in the gdb manual, so unless I'm
going to wade thru the sources, I though it would be easier just
to instrument the module. (and maybe Python.)