[Python-Dev] next vs darwin

Steven Majewski sdm7g@Virginia.EDU
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:00:48 -0500 (EST)

I recall having the discussion but I don't quite recall the
resolution: Is Next support now officially dropped from the
distribution ?

I have a revised dynamic loading module that strips out all
of the dead branches ( as well as better error reporting ):
I was going to call it dynload_darwin.c and add support to
configure, but grepping thru configure I only saw darwin
as triggering dynload_next.c -- it *looks* like the Next
has bee dropped.

Should we rename the file anyway ? ( to make it easier for
folks to know where to look. )

There has also been some discussion on the pythonmac-sig list
about dynamic loading. There are some other problems that
this module doesn't fix yet. If someone wants to subit a
better one, that's fine by me, but we REALLY need to get
the better error reporting in there so we can at least
find the problem.

The other thing that's been discussed is adding configure
support to build with the dlopen compatability libs if
that is available. ( doing config with --without-dyld
doesn't seem to change anything. )

-- Steve