[Python-Dev] Re: opcode performance measurements

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:37:16 -0600

    Jeremy> I've made some simple measurements of how long opcodes take to
    Jeremy> execute and how long it takes to go around the mainloop ...

    Jeremy> Comments and questions are welcome.  I've got a little time to
    Jeremy> do more measurement and analysis before devday.

Interesting results.  I've been working on my {TRACK,UNTRACK}_GLOBAL opcode
implementations.  I have an optimizer filter that sets up tracking for all
LOAD_GLOBAL,{LOAD_ATTR}* combinations.  It's still not quite working and
will only be a proof of concept by devday if I do get it working, but I
expect most of these expensive opcode combinations to collapse into a
LOAD_FAST, with the addition of a TRACK_GLOBAL/UNTRACK_GLOBAL pair executed
at function start and end, respectively.

Skip