[Python-Dev] opcode performance measurements

Aahz Maruch aahz@rahul.net
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:07:30 -0800 (PST)

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> I've made some simple measurements of how long opcodes take to execute
> and how long it takes to go around the mainloop, using the Pentim
> timestamp counter, which measures processor cycles.
>
> The results aren't particularly surprising, but they provide some
> empirical validation of what we've believed all along.  I don't have
> time to go into all the gory details here, though I plan to at
> Spam 10 developers day next week.

My suggestion WRT SET_LINENO is to encourage the use of python -O and
PYTHONOPTIMIZE.
--
                      --- Aahz (@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6       <*>       http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

We must not let the evil of a few trample the freedoms of the many.