[Python-Dev] distutils & stderr

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:43:22 -0500

  TP> [Skip]
  >> Sorry about the missing link.  PyInline uses distutils to compile
  >> the C code.  How PyInline does its think doesn't really matter to
  >> me, so I'm not going to be interested in distutils' messages.

  TP> If distutils output isn't interesting to PyInline users,
  TP> shouldn't PyInline be changed to run setup.py with its
  TP> -q/--quiet option?

I started a thread on similar issues on the distutils-sig mailing list
a week or two ago.  There's agreement that output is a problem.  The
code has no consistent way of generating messages or of interpreting
the notion of verbose or quiet.  I think the right solution is to have
several levels of verbosity and have a single function or method to
use for output.  (Perhaps a print statement with appropriate >>.)
This makes it easier to control the amount of information you get and
where it gets printed to.  Michael Hudson has signed up to implement
it and whatever else we can pile on when he's not looking.

Further discussion should probably go to the sig.

Jeremy